We are the Emerson Los Angeles Part-time Faculty union (ELAF), a chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP).
ELAF- AAUP is currently negotiating a second contract with Emerson's administration. We are fighting for a FAIR CONTRACT that provides:
- A LIVING WAGE. ELA faculty currently make up to $976 less per course than part-time faculty in Boston. We are 97% of the ELA faculty but the lowest paid educators at Emerson College.
- Compensation for UNPAID LABOR.
- JOB SECURITY. Most faculty have one semester appointments. Senior faculty have only one year appointments.
- AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE to eligible faculty.
- RETIREMENT - Faculty receive no retirement matching (unlike Boston faculty) and our longest-serving faculty member has been with the college for 26 years.
Who is ELAF?
We're a faculty union that protects your rights as a teacher, represents your interests to the administration, and collectively bargains the contract that governs adjunct employment at Emerson College Los Angeles.
In 2016, the ELA Faculty negotiated and ratified its first union contract which was extended to December 2021.
Some highlights include:
* Annual salary increases of 2-4%
* Salary increases 13 - 20% over life of contract
* Access to medical/dental benefits
* $1500 Professional development fund
* Two semester contracts for senior faculty
* Accelerated path to level 2 seniority for junior faculty
The union also acts as a liaison to administrators. When necessary, the union will speak on your behalf. When all else fails, adjunct faculty members have the security provided by legally binding grievance and arbitration procedures.
Current Executive Board:
Jennifer Vandever (President)
Mason Richards (Vice President)
Dan Viafore (Treasurer)